Many of us have a little too much stuff and not enough room. Whether you are looking for a permanent solution or just a temporary storage fix, we here at Hillsdale Mini Storage have some great packing tips you can use to pack your truck to take to your storage unit or other location. Consider some of the following packing tips:
- Consider donating items. There’s nothing wrong with getting rid of a few items during the packing process – it can actually feel freeing!
- Pack by weight, not size. While books might be small, they weigh a lot! Pack them in smaller boxes to avoid overly-heavy boxes on moving day.
- Collect your supplies and tools in advance. A great moving supplier can help give you an educated guess at the number of boxes and other supplies you will need for the big day.
- Fill your boxes full! Load your boxes with heavy items on the bottom and then, if there is still room, add in lighter items like clothes, pillows, or bedding on top to ensure every box is filled.
- Small appliances should be boxed. While your stand mixer can stand on its own, it should be in its own protected box. So should your coffee maker, toaster, etc.
- Clear one area completely before moving to another. If you are moving more than one area or room into a storage room, box and clear one room completely before starting on another!
- The heaviest/largest items go first. When it comes to your moving truck, load the heaviest and largest items in first, then put the lighter items on top.
- Wrap anything that could leak. Things can break, no matter your packing skills! If you are worried about leaks, wrap everything from bottles of oil to your shampoo securely.
- Designate which items need to be unloaded/loaded first. A quick label of your boxes can help you determine which items need to be loaded first and which ones you’ll want off the truck first.
If you have questions about smart methods of packing, please contact us here at Hillsdale Mini Storage for great ideas and information.